James R. Holland
James R. Holland
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (B.A., with distinction, 1992)
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (J.D., 2002, Order of Barristers)
- 2002, North Carolina
- 2002, US District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- 2004, US District Court, Middle District of North Carolina
- 2014, US Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- Rated “AV Preeminent” (2015-2020) and included in Judicial Edition (2017-2020) by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Recognized as one of “America’s Most Honored Lawyers” (Top 1%) by Martindale-Hubbell® and The American Registry® (2017 – 2020)
- Selected as 2019 “Lawyer of the Year” for Litigation – Insurance in Wilmington, NC by Best Lawyers in America®
- Listed in 23rd – 27th Editions of the Best Lawyers in America® (2017 – 2020)
- Named “Rising Star” by SuperLawyers® (2012)
- North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society (2017)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Real Estate Section
- Trusts and Estates Section
- Pitt County Bar Association
- Judicial District 3A Bar
- Jay has represented clients in will contests, claims against estates, breach of fiduciary duty cases, and trust modifications.
- Jay has handled a wide variety of real estate matters, including title insurance claims, boundary disputes and partition actions, reformations of title instruments, disputes as to priority of security instruments, contested foreclosures, evictions and ejectments, landlord-tenant actions, disputes over restrictive covenants and easements, and other land use and zoning matters.
- Jay has litigated matters involving disputes over commercial contracts and negotiable instruments, the collection of debts, the recovery of collateral under security agreements, and insurance policies.
- Jay has represented employers and employees in numerous employment law matters, including cases over non-compete and non-disclosure agreements, trade secrets, and wrongful discharge claims.
- Jay has extensive experience in personal injury litigation, including matters involving automobile accidents, slip and falls, product liability injuries, and medical malpractice claims.
- Attends First Christian Church (Belhaven, NC)
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Board of Visitors
- Recreation Advisory Committee for City of Washington, NC
- Beaufort County Crime Stoppers Board
Jay Holland was raised in Belhaven, North Carolina. He is proud to call Belhaven “home” again. He lives there with his wife and their three sons. Jay enjoys coaching youth baseball in his spare time.
Practice AreasBUSINESS DISPUTES AND COMMERCIAL LITIGATION CONSTRUCTION LAW AND LITIGATION CREDITORS’ RIGHTS, FORECLOSURES, AND COLLECTIONS EMPLOYMENT LITIGATION ESTATE AND TRUST DISPUTES REAL ESTATE LITIGATION